“Informal English Phrases
These phrases are ideal for language tests such as TOEFL or IELTS. In an academic essay, these phrases is going to be too informal as they are too personal.
“IN MY ESTIMATION, + YOUR SENTENCE”
- In my experience, a good education is more important than a beneficial car.
“I BELIEVE THAT + + that is THAT SENTENCEYOUR”
- In my opinion that schools should encourage students to walk or cycle to school rather than drive.
“IN MY MIND, + YOUR SENTENCE”
- “In my mind, no-one must have to fund health care.”
More Formal Academic Phrases With ‘That’
These phrases tend to be more ideal for academic essays. Whether you should use an informal phrase or an academic phrase, use an academic one if you are unsure. If you believe your writing might be informal, check this out post for more information.
The patterns here are quite straightforward. Just add your sentence after ‘that’.
“IT WOULD SEEM THAT + YOUR SENTENCE”
Make use of this whenever you support your opinion with evidence.
- “It appears to be that children learn best when they’re feeling comfortable.”
“IT COULD BE ARGUED THAT + YOUR SENTENCE”
Use this when you want to challenge an existing opinion.
- “It could be argued that the benefits outweigh the drawbacks in this case.”
“THIS SUGGESTS THAT + YOUR SENTENCE”
Make use of this when you don’t fully want to commit to a viewpoint. You’re giving yourself some distance.
- “The ev >“THIS PROVES THAT + YOUR SENTENCE”
Use this if you are at ease with your opinion. This phrase is fairly strong*
- “This proves that the best way to lose excess weight is by a controlled diet and an excellent workout program.”